Thursday, December 07, 2006

A poem for your consideration

So here's something I came up with a few days ago, and have been tweaking it since then. I'm not sure the stanzas connect very well to each other, or even that I completely understand it, but I thought I'd throw it up here for your consideration. Oh, and it doesn't have a title (which, I have been convinced, is okay).

Untitled

In Ann Arbor, the snow falls soft and silent,
leaving gentle splatters on my coat,
not like the winter when you and I
went for a walk around your neighborhood,
and the snow slipped from the sky all at once,
burying me in its heavy cold.

Still, I thought it was all so beautiful,
even after I learned
how absurd it is to be from a town
named Bloomfield Hills
which has no fields and no hills, only
Hummers leveling the bumps on the shiny roads.

Today, sitting in a crowded computer lab
with a cup of lukewarm cafeteria coffee
I’m plucking words from the keyboard,
when I think I hear your laugh:
starting low, boiling over,
and flattening the silence.

1 comments:

Jenny said...

Yeah, I agree that there's not much cohesion between the paragraphs besides it seems they're coming from the same day and talking about the same person. I think the last one is my fav; "plucking" is a great verb.